Kia ora, I’m Dr Andrea Knox, the owner and operator of Counterbalance Analytics.
I have over 20 years’ experience in research and evaluation and since 2019 I have focused on applying statistical and econometric techniques to research and evaluation in areas of public policy interest.
I moved into evaluation from the science sector in 2001, working as an evaluator at the Royal Society of New Zealand and then at the Foundation for Research Science and Technology. In 2007 I established Counterbalance Research and Evaluation and for the next 12 years I provided consultancy services to a range of clients in areas including education, housing, health, and business development. From 2019 to 2021 I worked at MBIE as a Senior Research and Data Analyst in the Evidence and Insights branch, where I deepened my understanding of analytical and research processes in large government agencies. In 2021 I re-established Counterbalance, re-branded as Counterbalance Analytics to reflect the focus I now have on using quantitative techniques to support research and evaluation.
In 2022 I completed a graduate diploma in applied statistics and econometrics from Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington. I have also completed numerous online courses in data science and R and SQL programming.
I have a PhD in developmental biology from the University of Cambridge (completed in 2000), and a BSc(Hons) in genetics from Massey University (1995). In 1996 I was one of five New Zealand recipients of a Commonwealth PhD Scholarship to the United Kingdom.
I have worked with clients in the government, academic, and charitable sectors, including:
- Te Kunenga ki Pūrehuroa – Massey University
- Ministry of Business, Innovation, and Employment – Hīkina Whakatutuki
- Te Tare Taiwhenua – Department of Internal Affairs
- Tertiary Education Commission – Te Amorangi Mātauranga Matua
- Manatū Hauora – Ministry of Health
- Social Policy Evaluation and Research Unit (Superu)
- Kainga Ora (previously Housing New Zealand)
- Te Wānanga o Aotearoa
- Royal Society Te Apārangi
- Ministry for Primary Industries – Manatū Ahu Matua
- Ministry for the Environment – Manatū Mō Te Taiao