About Counterbalance Analytics
High quality evidence for informing decisions
Counterbalance Analytics is a New Zealand-based consultancy providing statistical research and evaluation services for clients in the public, private, and academic sectors.
How Counterbalance can help
Counterbalance Analytics can work with you to:
- generate insights from quantitative data using a range of statistical modelling and econometric techniques
- carry out research and evaluation using the Stats NZ Integrated Data Infrastructure (IDI)
- design and implement data collection and analysis strategies to support research, evaluation, and reporting
- review literature and metadata
- communicate findings from complex analytical work, including interactive dashboards and plain-English reporting to Ministers, stakeholder groups, policy teams, and the public.
Counterbalance is a sole proprietorship, owned and operated by Dr Andrea Knox. Dr Knox is an approved IDI/Stats NZ data lab researcher and Counterbalance is a tier 3 provider on the All-of-Government Policy, Research, and Development Consultancy Services panel.
Permanent link to this article: https://counterbalance.co.nz/
Analysed the associations between damp, cold homes and the health of occupants using nationally representative survey datasets and linked data in the Stats NZ Integrated Data Infrastructure (IDI). This work used propensity score matching to estimate health effects while controlling for other factors, such as poverty, which can complicate such analysis. Year: 2022
Data analysis and modelling to create MBIE’s 2020 and 2021 modelled territorial authority GDP estimates, followed by reporting on the key insights for local economies. Years: 2020-2021
Set up and ran data collection, analysis and reporting functions for KnowYourStuffNZ: a grass-roots community organisation that provides drug-related harm reduction services across Aotearoa. Established and led KnowYourStuffNZ’s data team from 2020 to 2022. The data team’s work has enabled quality assurance, continuous improvement, and accountability. It has also been a crucial contributor to KnowYourStuff’s …
Analysed data on the post-study migration and employment outcomes of international tertiary students and reported the findings. The report was used to improve the government’s understanding of international student outcomes and to evaluate and improve immigration policy. Year: 2017